School of Medicine Core Values
We commit to these core values in our decision-making, the prioritization of resources, and fulfillment of our mission:
- Excellence and Accountability in the conduct of education, research, patient care, and community engagement;
- Compassion in patient care and for the lives and conditions of all New Mexico's people;
- Diversity that values the unique characteristics of all people and that is actively sought at all levels within our academic community;
- Integrity, Professionalism, and Ethical Behavior that embodies the principles of altruism, beneficence and justice; promotes patient care, learning, research and productivity through relationships based on courtesy, civility and respectful communication; and is worthy of the trust and respect given to us as teachers, scholars and healers;
- Social Responsibility demonstrated by discovery and teaching about the social, economic, and cultural contexts of New Mexico peoples health; commitment to health promotion and disease prevention; and by self-evaluation of the access to and quality and distribution of our health care professionals and services; and
- Creativity and Innovation that translates biomedical research into individual and community health benefits and medical education into population health literacy, that accelerates health technology diffusion to all corners of the state, and that transforms the science of clinical care into a healing art and the integration of academic and local knowledge into an improved quality of life for all New Mexico people.