Admission and Application Requirements
Minimum ACT or SAT scores:
Scores must be achieved
prior to the application
deadline. (SAT II subject
test scores are
The UNM Combined BA/MD Degree Program considers all aspects of an applicant’s background, experience and academic progress, including:
- Academics (e.g., GPA, ACT/SAT scores, honors courses, Advanced Placement courses and International Baccalaureate courses)
- Community involvement
- Volunteer experience
- Commitment to practice medicine in New Mexico
- Honors and awards
- Extracurricular activities
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
New applicants must:
- Be a current high school senior who A) lives in and attends a high school in New Mexico or B) is a tribal member living on the Navajo Nation at the time of the application.
- Commit to pursue a medical career in New Mexico's rural or medically underserved areas.
- Applicants who achieve the required ACT and/or SAT minimum scores before the admissions deadline will automatically be invited for two individual interviews with members of the Admissions Committee.
- Students who are accepted into the BA/MD Degree Program with an ACT math sub-score between 22-25 (or SAT equivalent) will be required to attend a UNM-Main Campus College Algebra class (MATH 121) over the summer prior to beginning the BA/MD curriculum in the fall. Math Requirement Update.
- Students accepting a position in the UNM Combined BA/MD Degree Program are required to attend UNM School of Medicine and may not apply to any other medical schools.
- Students accepting a position in the UNM Combined BA/MD Degree Program will be required to sign a Statement of Commitment.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO ARE NOT US CITIZENS, please feel free to contact us for specific information regarding separate UNM paperwork, financial aid resources, and tax issues that may apply. Contact Karen McGillvray, Program Manager, email@example.com, (505) 277-2128